1/15/10

A Decade of Music: 2001

A Decade of Music

2001
(in alphabetical order)



Black Hawk Down
Hans Zimmer
One of Zimmer's most finest and most original soundtracks.
It got such variety and I love the African sound that lays the foundation of it all.
There are some wonderfull artists here as well, bot known and unknown:
Lisa Gerrard, Joe Strummer, Denez Prigent and Rachid Taha.
Listen to: Hunger, Still, Gortoz a Ran, Leave no Man Behind and Minstrel Boy

"The minstrel boy to the war is gone
In the ranks of death ye will find him
His father's sword he hath girded on
and his wild harp slung behind him"



Blackwater Park
Opeth

This is one of the few metal bands I still listen to, and this has to be their best album this decade.
Åkerfeldt's voice can do anything!
Listen to:
Bleak, Harvest, Blackwater Park,
Still Day Beneath the Sun
and Patterns in the Ivy 2

"Break of morning, coldness lingers on
Shroud me into nightmares of the sun"



Celtic Circle, the
Various Artists

All I can say is that this cd introduced me for some beautifull music.
My favorite music genre to date.
Perfect to get you dreaming of a mysterious faraway land.

Listen to: disc 1 - The Mystic's Dream (Loreena McKennitt), The Shores of the Swilly (Sinéad O'Connor),
cúChilainn's Last Battle (Brian Dunning & Jeff Johnson),
The Keening of the three Marys (William Coulter)
and The Dragon's Breath (David Arkenstone)

disc 2 - Skellig (Loreena McKennitt), Theme from Harry's Game (Clannad),
Ailain Duinn (Capercaille), Circle of Joy (Lisa Lynne) and Caoineadh na Mara (Mary McLaughlin)



Just Push Play
Aerosmith

I had heard some Aerosmith songs through my childhood, but I was to young to give them any notice.
This album changed that.
There are other Aerosmith albums that are better, but this is still the first one I heard.

Listen to:
Jaded, Fly Away from Here, Trip Hoppin', Sunshine and Luv Lies

"I sold my soul for a one night stand

I followed Alice into wonder land"



Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain
Yann Tiersen

Wonderfull! It gives me the perfect Parisian feeling,
and has opened my eyes for other Yann Tiersen albums.
It makes me dream of cycling through Montemartre with my camera and a picnic basket.
Listen to: J'y suis jamais allé, La Valse d'Amélie (every version of it),
Comptine d'un autre été: L'après-midi, La Dispute and Si tu n'étais pas lá

"Monochrome flat, monochrome life,
only abscence near me, nothing but silence around me"



The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Howard Shore

The music for the entire trilogy is my favourite sountrack of all times.
The way it is structured around the different places and creatures is just amazing,
and it gives me the chills everytime it is played.
The movies were a huge part of my life for such a long tine,
and the music brings back all kinds of wonderfull memories.
It's hard to choose, but you should:

Listen to
: Concerning Hobbits, A Journey in the Dark, Lothlorien,
Amon Hen and The Breaking of the Fellowship

" When the seas and mountains fall,
and we come to end of days.

In the dark I hear a call, calling me there,

I will go there, and back again."


Røyksopp
Melody A.M
It is still their best album,
even though they haven't not lost their touch with their latest albums either
It makes me relaxed and happy at the same time.

Listen to: So Easy, Eple, Sparks, Poor Leno and Remind Me
"It doesn't matter when, it may rain or it may shine,
you will always be here stored inside my mind"



Ompa til du dør
Kaizers Orchestra
My favorite studio album by Kaizers. I makes me happy, nothing more, nothing less.
Listen to: Kontroll på kontinentet, 170, Rullett, Resistansen and Bris

"bris, bris, puste meg i nakken,
det blir kaldt i frakken og kroppen skrike
kom bris, bris sett meg fri, skru på sirenen og gje meg varige mén"



Strange Little Girls
Tori Amos
The first album of Tori that I listened to, and I fell in love instantly.
It's not even her own songs, but she is a master of covering songs and putting her own touch to them.
All the songs are written by famous men like Neil Young, Tom Waits,
Marshal Matters, Lou Reed, The Beatles and Bob Geldof,
but Tori puts them into a female perspective and makes them almost unrecognisable.

Listen to: New Age, Strange Little Girl, Time, I Don't Like Mondays and Real Men

"Man makes a gun, man goes to war,
man can kill and man can drink and man can take a whore"



White Blood Cells
The White Stripes
You can't have a music list without mentioning this duo.
It's so simple, but still so energetic and fun!
Listen to: Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground, I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman,
We're Going to be Friends, Offend in Every Way and I Think I Smell a Rat

"I'll speak until I break
with every word I say,
offend in every way"



other albums worth mentioning: Björk: Verspertine and The Strokes: Is This It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails