8/4/11

music for the mind, body and soul #3


It's really been a while since I've last posted an entry like this. I've written about Loreena McKennitt before, but that has also been a while. Since she is my favorite artist, she deserves another entry. So here we go:

Loreena Mckennitt


Loreena McKennitt is a Canadian artist. She can sing, play the harp, the piano and the accordion. She compose most of her own music with Celtic and Middle Eastern elements, but she also play traditional songs and use lyrics from poets like William Shakespeare, W. B. Yeates, Sir Walter Scott, William Blake, Alfred Lord Tennyson and Alfred Noyes. She is also one of the few artists who sounds even better live than in studio recordings.

(I've linked to all the songs, so you can have a listen. If you can't listen to them all, I recommend you take a look at the Huron Beltane Fire Dance to see some really talented musicians)

I started to listen to this artist in...

... 2001, when I started to listen to alot of filmscore and celtic inspired music.
The first song I heard was...

... I'm not sure if it was The Mystic's Dream (around the time a read and saw The Mists of Avalon), or Skellig (which I had on a cd with all kinds of celtic music)
The three songs I've listened to the most are...
...Dante's Prayer, The Old Ways and All Souls Night (according to last.fm)
At the moment, my three favorite songs are...
... impossible to choose, so I'm going to cheat and pick three songs from each studio album (I've left out the christmas albums and the songs already mentioned):
Elemental (1985): The Stolen Child, Banks of Claudy and Lullaby
Parallel Dreams (1989): Huron "Beltane" Fire Dance, Dicken's Dublin and Ancient Pines
The Visit (1991): Between the Shadows, The Lady of Sharlott and Cymbeline
The Mask and the Mirror (1994): The Bonny Swans, Cé Hé Mise le Ulaingt? and Full Circle
The Book of Secrets (1997): The Mummers' Dance, The Highwayman and La Serenissima
An Ancient Muse (2006): Caravanserai, The English Ladye and the Knight and Beneath a Phrygian Sky
The Wind that Shakes the Barley (2010): Brian Boru's March, The Star of the County Down and The Emigration Tunes

The emotions the music evokes are...

...
yearning, sadness, nostalgia, bittersweetness, joyous, free, serene, moved, thoughtfull, dreamy, inspired


"For Love will still be lord of all "



(I've linked to the songs, so you can have a listen)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails